Saturday, July 30, 2011

Aspirational Conservatism: The Independent Worker Society

Picking up on the Charles Moore challenge from the last post, I am looking to expand my thoughts on "Aspirational Conservatism" from last December.

Walter Russell Mead's most recent essay, "Where are the jobs?" is his first attempt at describing where the new jobs will come from, as the old models break down.  He describes a number of high-end, personal services and references this post from  Matthew Yglesias on The Yoga Instructor Economy.

While I think Mead has done a service by sketching out a few future profession possibilities, I believe we can expand the concept into a broader "Independent Worker Society".

Call them "free agents," independent contractors, free lancers, telecommuters, or what have you, entrepreneurs working for themselves will be the wave of the future.  What we need to do is to foster policies and incentives to encourage people to take charge of their own lives and their own livelihoods.  The days of the lifetime corporate or government job are over:  careers will look very different going forward.  But it can be a good future, one with more personal fulfillment and more control.

No comments:

Post a Comment