In that context, political operative Brian Cook
recalled this "news" story in the
Minneapolis Star Tribune from a year
ago. The Star Tribune piece opened with this startling sentence,
Science made a comeback at the State Capitol on
Tuesday.
Headlined “Minnesota legislators and
scientists team up on climate change,” the article promises that the then newly-installed
Democrat majority would elevate the role of “science” in their decision making and
would tackle the issue of global warming.
In the event, they have done neither.
As I
pointed out recently, Minnesota is about to miss its first statutory
deadline (2015) for reducing greenhouse gasses. State Democrats—who enjoy a complete monopoly
on power—are oddly silent about the failure of one of their signature issues.
The Star
Tribune wrote a year ago,
The point, Reps. Jean Wagenius and Alice Hausman said, is
that the DFL-controlled House intends to base new laws and policy decisions--especially
those related to climate change--on research rather than dogma.
"It's
science vs. ideology," said Hausman, a DFLer from St. Paul and chairwoman
of the House Capital Investment Committee, describing a debate that is going on
nationally as well. "There are still some that question the science."
The Star
Tribune wrote this week,
“I have not seen the scientific data that says this
is dangerous if you’re simply in the same room as someone using an
e-cigarette,” said Rep. Will Morgan, DFL-Burnsville. “I’m a physics teacher. I think
we should rely on science for decisions like that.”
At some point in the last year, it
seems, “science” has left the building.
No comments:
Post a Comment