Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Escaping Portlandia

For those of you determined to turn the Twin Cities Metro into a midwestern version of Portland, Oregon, I urge you to read Jennifer Wyatt's account of her impending move from Portland to...(gasp)...Missouri.  Jennifer is chronicling her geographic and psychic journey at her blog I Say Missourah.  From her New Geography piece,

"Ten years ago I would have characterized Portland as a place that had progressive perspectives.  Now I would characterize Portland as a place with few ideas, all perpetually reinforced and more deeply ingrained every day.  People regurgitate a handful of versions of the same thoughts in ever narrowing expressions.  Everywhere you look it is repetition of the same ideas, whether it be on politics, design, or social culture.  People strive to look the same, to dress the same, and to have the same lifestyle...

"What began as a city with progressive and forward looking ideas to develop a new urban course has become a closed container of cultural conformity.  There is a new cookie cutter in Portland, and it is young, alterna-hip, and white."

Read the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment